Monday, September 22, 2025

1/2000 Naval - updates and ponderings

Over the preceding years I have accumulated a large 1/2000 scale scratchbuilt WW1 and interwar era naval collection. In this scale models are rather easy to produce to a reasonable standard (nothing like the 1/2400 GHQ ships, for example, but good enough).

While I occasionally dabble in scale modelling, the space even a 1/700 scale ship requires is huge compared to a 1/2000 scale fleet, so in the near future I hope I will be able to return to this project.

First I have to review the state of the existing ships and make minor updates and reparations, the occasional filling, sanding, replacing masts. I expect this task to last for a while, but I can safely bring out rather large fleets if I want to play with them.

Next up my goal is to unify each fleet's paint jobs as I just painted them in colours I liked, but perhaps they would look better with universal colours across each faction.

I also stockpiled on 2mm plasticard and aim to create 3d sea bases for each ship instead of just painting the base blue.

In the meantime I aim to expand the collection, mostly by focusing on the following vessels:
Great Britain
- Iron Duke, QE and Revenge classes (along with the respective battlecruisers)
France
- Bretagne class
- the single ship class pre-dreadnoughts
Japan
- updated Fuso and Nagato classes in their interwar outfit

I think I'll start with the British ships and see where I can get from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment