I'm kind of a megalomaniac and this led me to overthink another project. We learn from our mistakes right?
So using 28mm figures my previous ideas about basing and collecting Italian Wars period figures just did not work. The units were too large and unfeasible on the tabletop. This then led me to stall and not get done with anything. I even considered switching to 6mm Baccus figures entirely and abandoning the project, because I just could not progress any further.
Then one evening it struck me that I overdid it again, and I should limit my goals and build my armies slowly, so they are playable at an earlier stage.
So I started rebasing my current figure collection for The Pikeman's Lament or other large scale skirmishes in mind, with six foot or three horse on a 75x50mm base and command as I see fit.
First I thought about four foot or two horse on a 50x50mm base, but then I could not get six figure foot units, which are part of the PL rules.
Of course I can later expand this, especially the pike blocks, to include more than two bases or 12 pikes in total.
With that I ordered two boxes of Perry Mercenaries, to be used as Swiss pike and French/Italian shot for the same conflict. This would give me a playable force in the foreseeable future.
The Perry figs may be a bit outdated for the later part of the wars but I'll just overlook that. I've got some Warlord heads and bits to update them a bit, also I can sculpt slashed sleeves with green stuff.
Of course it would have been better to buy some Cossack infantry and finish my - about seventy percent done - Deluge project starting armies, but sometimes you just act on a whim.
Plus I got about twice as many figures for lesser money.
No comments:
Post a Comment