Thursday, September 4, 2025

Project Napoleon and a Basing Conundrum

If there is a single period that lends itself to the 'grand manner' type of game, it is the times of Napoleon. I've had large and mostly complete armies in 1/72 for the period and enjoyed playing with them before I traded them off. I also refought some historical battles using makeshift 2mm match stick armies, and the virtual tabletop.

Now I'm at a point where I should start rebuilding my collection, this time in 6mm. Commission Figurines are the perfect choice for me as I can get loads of figures on the cheap and they are rather easy to paint.

My dilemma is that I already have about a thousand Commission Figurines troopers based for my SYW ImagiNations, on 75x25mm bases, and would like to be able to use them for Napoleonics as well. In this scale a dude in a bright uniform and a bicorne could be early Spanish, 1806 Saxon etc., similarly a dude in a bicorne and a blue uniform could be Revwar French, 1806 Prussian, the list goes on. 

While the more linear warfare of the SYW period favours narrow bases, for Napoleonics I'd like to perhaps increase the scale and pack my bases more thickly, so I was thinking about 60x30mm bases with infantry in 3x8 ranks and cavalry in 2x5 ranks. This of course would mean that the two collections cannot be mixed. I would also like to get some Ottomans, which could be used for both periods, so to have an army in both basing styles would mean doubling the figure count. And then Napoleonic Austrians could be used for the 1848-49 Hungarian war as well, meaning I only have to build the Hungarians and Russians...

So this is where I'm at now, planning to make a large-ish purchase in the near future with Walt at Commission F., but kind of at odds with the basing style. In the end I might just go with 75x25mm for the Napoleonics as well and double up the bases when needed. Blücher for example uses a 'stock' unit base size of 75x50mm. What I most certainly will not do is rebase my SYW figures.

This then raises the question whether I'll have enough table space to field units of that size as I currently only own a 110x70cm coffee table and I worry that the unit footprint would be too great.

Numbers, numbers...

No comments:

Post a Comment