As mentioned on the main blog, I purchased one pack of the notorious '72x plastic Napoleonic Sailing Ship Toy etc. etc.' bag on Amazon, and it is due to arrive next week.
Just in time as I was already eyeing some Warfare Miniatures metal ships for pirate actions, and how to cut cost! (Skipping one meal or two was, of course, out of the question.) Sometimes foresight works better than any planning.
Anyway, I plan to convert a bunch of these, much alike Master Crook on his blog, to three-deckers, frigates and Indiamen. And, although I originally bought the lot for fleet actions, I will be free to roam the seven seas as captain of a privateer or pirate hunter man-o-war.
My plan includes converting six ships to 1st rates, six frigates, six indiamen and six hulks (without masts). I might just increase the number of frigates to a dozen, but again, for fleet actions, they are not required. That would still leave me with fifty-odd 'second rate' hulls
This, then, brings the question of rules, preferably for ship on ship actions. For large scale battles I have Fighting Sail and my own diceless house rules.
For smaller actions I own Galleys & Galleons, but had not tried it for duels; and Kiss Me Hardy, which I played a lot and enjoyed, and think most suitable for the task. Another candidate would be Mad for War by the League of Augsburg, which is flexible in engagement scale as far as I know.
I'm not on the lookout for rules anymore on the current market, because I'm a grognard at heart and will just write my own. Of course there is the odd exception, for example the Renaissance rules to be published by Sam Mustafa. This means it's time to re-read KMH! for a while, and wait for the ships patiently.
No comments:
Post a Comment