Monday, November 10, 2025

6mm Terrain List - Updated v2 17 December

I have completed my 6mm armies for my Schultze-Böhnstadt setting. That is a big word, more than twelve hundred 6mm figures, which makes a steady average of a hundred figures per month, considering I bought the first lot in October 2024.

Now that the figures are complete, I considered terrain, and I have to make a post to organize things and keep track of my progress. These all should be Western European themed, and I'm probably going to expand the line of buildings later to Mediterranean ones for my Formaggian Succession Wars campaign.

I try to more or less conform to terrain types defined in Maurice, but I divided the terrain to "blotchy" and "linear" sections because this makes things easier in the long run. My units are 75x25mm sized and I equate 1BW to 1"/25mm for easier calculation, so I have to take the footprint of terrain pieces into such considerations.

Blotchy terrain
The goal here is to replace the paperwork stand-ins with properly built ones.

- 1x 50x100mm footprint walled town (able to be garrisoned by one unit) - about half a dozen buildings
- 1x 75x75mm footprint walled town (able to be garrisoned by one unit) - similarly, about half a dozen buildings
Update: I'm thinking of making my towns a bit more modular, with one central piece (such as a schloss or church) and a few surrounding buildings).
Update2: one old fortress on a hill WIP, one church tile completed; one town tile WIP (requires one more painted house) and one complete.
Further, I have built some fortifications (some trench lines with gabions and chevaux-de-frise, and a large redoubt to complement the old fort - this would represent Schloss Rosenheim)

- A few inns, hamlets and other small built-in scenic pieces that are not to be garrisoned (one test piece mostly complete)
Update: this would include a windmill and a river mill.
Update2: have assembled a walled hamlet and started painting the two mills.

- 1x large wooden patch with paper mache trees (WIP)
- 2x series of paper mache trees on 25mm and 35mm round bases, two to three trees per base, two dozen in total
Update: completed

- I hope I can score some un-snowed pine trees come Christmas, last year Flying Tiger Copenhagen had some which I could butcher, I mean trim to smaller ones
Update: I made eight sections with three pine trees each.

- about half a dozen ploughed fields and grown crops, most likely 75x50 or 75x75mm footprint
Update: four yellow wheat and six green wheat fields are complete, ploughed fields should be easy to complete

- a pair of lakes and/or marshes (or marshy lakes)
Update2: still required

Linear terrain
My table is 110x70cm, so I'm going to make 110cm length of each terrain feature, in 6x5cm and 8x10cm sections unless stated otherwise. No particular reason, just to be precise about it. I'll use bases with a concave/rounded end so they could fit better.
- Brick walls, as described above
    Update: eight sections complete, won't do more for now.

- Rivers, as described above, plus one or two river bends.
Update2: five sections require gloss varnish and flocking. Five require drybrushing the river waves, varnish and flocking. 

- Roads, as described above (perhaps a bit more)
    Update: ten sections are complete, perhaps a few more bends to do.

- Paper mache hedgerows, 70cm total, 4x5cm and 5x10cm sections
    Update: Completed

- Small streams, 70cm total, 4x5cm and 5x10cm sections
    Update: completed, might require some flocking.

Word on Buildings
I'm working on a series of masters for town houses which I plan to recast with a Blue Stuff mould and a hot glue gun. Each town shall have two or three different types of houses, and perhaps a more distinct feature such as a church or market hall. I'm doing the masters from plasticard and the roof from epoxy clay to shape the roof tiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment