So my next major project is late 17th / very early 18th century armies in 1/72.
This is a period that had my interest for a while now and I had a complete GNW Saxon-Polish and Swedish army, which I bartered away for some Perry plastics.
I actually know the person who owns the figures now so probably I could get them back, but it would mean a lot of hassle to rebase, touch up etc. the entire collection, so I just decided to start anew, especially in light of Strelets' new products for the period, which seem very promising overall and compared to their previous output. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the big GNW sets and would buy them again, for conversion work if nothing else, but the figures were a bit crude.
Anyway, just as with my 17th century collection, the goal is to start with large skirmish size forces and build from there. For starters, I'll do armies for factions which are useable for The Pikeman's Lament, and then eventually grow them to be compatible with Maurice or other larger scale games.
I will use common bases for rank and file figures and separate smaller ones for command. I've also been thinking about semi-circular casualty markers.
This is my basing system which I will try IRL eventually:
Regular infantry:
Six troopers in two ranks on a 60x40mm base
Four command in two ranks on a 40x40mm base
Basic unit is three bases (2 rank and file + 1 command), so sixteen figures O/A
Regular cavalry:
Three riders in a single rank on a 60x40mm base
Two command on a 40x40mm base
Basic unit is three bases (2 rank and file + 1 command), so eight figures O/A
Irregulars:
Follows the same system as above, with fewer figures per base.
Artillery:
60x40mm base with one gun and four crew
All the bases are round cornered rectangles.
Thus it's easy to form six or twelve figure units for PL, and the irregular basing would not interfere much with Maurice.
The idea itself comes from the fact that Maurice uses four bases to a unit and thus I would have to split my command figures in between two bases, or have them placed not directly in the middle of a unit, which I don't like for aesthetic purposes. Three bases instead of four shouldn't matter that much.
This also allows me to switch command bases between units when necessary, and later I can increase the number of bases in a unit to five.
I started painting the first lot I bought as GNW Russians on a whim, but we shall see what comes out of the rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment